Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day Eighteen - Phone calls and Herb Gardens

Today I'm Grateful for:-

Today I'm grateful for phone calls and herb gardens.

One of my all time best friends phoned me today, he lives in Melbourne now (Rosebud actually), and so I don't get to see him very often. But he phones at least once a week to wish me a happy day and see how we are all going. Just because he happens to be my Uncle doesn't change the fact that he is my best friend. He is only two years older than me, and for much of our lives, was brought up with my brother and I, and so Uncle is more like a brother to us.

When we were little, Uncle and I were called the 'terrible twins', mostly because of the mischief we used to get into together... ah, good times...lol.
He is the kind of person who you can talk to about anything, he helps me dream up characters and ways to make my imaginary worlds and creatures more lifelike, and sharing coffee while discussing the merits of religious beliefs,  and I listen to him when he gets on his 'If I were King' rants. lol. He always makes me laugh, and I never have to explain the way I sometimes feel like hiding away in a cave. he just gets it, and what more could you want in a friend?

Anyway, he has been pretty sick over the past few years, a heart by-pass operation, daily dialysis and all the assorted problems that go along with these health issues. He recently had to move house by himself, as he doesn't have anyone to help - except his 14year old daughter - and nearly wrecked himself in the act. You have to understand, before he became really sick he had always been very fit, active and independent, and so he was pretty down for awhile, because he hated not being able to do things for himself.  I have been pretty worried about him, wishing that I could have helped in some way... I have spoken to him on and off over the past few weeks, but he has seemed, I don't know, just not really himself.

So today, he phoned. He was sooo happy, sounded really relaxed and eager to share his newest addition to his new home... his herb garden... we have a shared love of herbs, for their looks, smells, textures and not to mention the exquisite tastes and metaphysical attributes they have. He has potted a whole heap of herbs- including parsley, basil, oregano, chives, and mint- into neat little pots and put them on the windowsill. He told me how they have already grown a little and the scent of mint as he moves through the garden is bringing back memories of when we were younger. He just sounded like the Uncle of old. It brought a smile to my face and a warmth to my heart.

So here's to herb gardens and shared memories.

Kisses

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment