Monday, February 14, 2011

Day Five - A world within a world

Today I'm  Grateful for:-

Today I'm grateful for our garden...

All of my life I have lived in the suburbs, rows and rows of houses with small yards and nosey neighbors. At least what I can remember, apparently when I was a baby, we lived on a farm with red earth, and I used to scoot around on my butt, making my nappies pink! But that's a whole different story. :)

Last year we moved to a rural area. Our block is 1/2 an acre, in a cul-de-sac with a park at either end of the road. The neighbors are friendly but quiet (most of the time), there are certainly not the gang 'disagreements' we had back in our last place.

Anyway, our garden... OMG! It was love at first sight.

When we drove up to view the house the first time, there was this little sandstone cottage with blue trim, nestled serenely in the middle of masses of red and yellow roses. The grass was deep green and spongy to walk on with a huge gum tree shading the front of the driveway. Wow, what a difference. That wasn't the only difference, the neighbors stopped what they were doing and waved at us! Dude, I was like, looking around to see who they were looking at! Honest... So we moved into the house and loved it, neat, tidy and smaller than what we had. Everything we wanted. And then it happened.

We went outside.
Looking from the back door down to the back, it was like we were in a private park, lush green grass spread before us, bordered by all manner of trees and bushes, there are gum trees, conifers, wattle trees, roses, geraniums, azaleas, hibiscus and bushes I don't even know the name of. It was a riot of colour and shapes, the textures were incredible. And the birds, there are parrots of all kinds, kookaburras in the mornings, starlings, yellow wrens, and more that I am learning every day.

At least once a day, I take a cuppa out to our swing and just sit... watching this amazing world within a world go by. It's better than meditation and more emotionally balancing than any therapy session could ever be.

Thanks Garden
Kisses
Julie

1 comment:

  1. i'm so glad that you still enjoy the garden, it truly is a "world within a world".

    ReplyDelete