Thursday, February 10, 2011

Introduction to Julie's 365 day Gratitude Journal

Hi all,

My name is Julie and this is my Gratitude Journal. But first, I understand a bit of background information might be useful so that you can understand how this came about. Believe me, this is not a "look at me, look at me" blog, but rather a way of understanding this particular journey that I have made to get to this point.

The basics are, I am 49 years old, happily married with two amazing daughters and a wonderful son-in-law. If you saw me, you would think that I am just a very average woman, plump to look at, crazy hair and a friendly smile, really quite ordinary.

For the past few years life has thrown some pretty curly challenges my way, car accidents, death of loved ones, illness and injury to myself and my immediate family. Quite a lot if you add them all up. I won't bore you with the details, I will just add that it is a combination of these things that has  brought me to this journal. You see, my husband, our two daughters and myself are all living with chronic pain and fatigue conditions, all a little different, and from different causes, but all still trying to cope on a daily basis. And yes people, I know that there are a lot of people out there with much worse to cope with, but let's face it, it doesn't make our pain any less. So, please people, stop telling us to 'build a bridge'! We deal with it as best as we can.

So anyway, last year, I spent so much time being sick, sore and sorry for myself that I felt I couldn't take anymore, but of course, more happenned, and I did cope.. It got me to wondering, what had I given up in order to take care of this condition? Answer - nearly everything I cared about... I had to give up work (because I was too unreliable and in too much pain to do the work), painting, visiting friends and relatives, writing, housework, cooking real meals, gardening, the list is endless. And so I asked myself, - "how is my pain, now that I'm not doing those things, is the pain any better?" Answer - hell no, because now, not only am I still in pain, but I'm depressed because I don't do anything I care about! Hmmm, is this a breakthrough? Yes, yes it is. Because that brought to the next step.

That next step is to find things that I care about, to learn again to be grateful for the little things (and even the big things) in fact ALL things that bring joy, peace and meaning to my life.

Hence the journal. In this I will write (at least) one thing a day to reaffirm what I am grateful for... a different thing each day hopefully, but sometimes I may repeat myself, just for a different reason.
And I thought that if I put it on facebook/blog or similar, it would help me to inspire me to continue to do this daily. I know that most people will be bored sh''''less by my gratitude platitudes, but I also know that there are some beloved people who may like to see that my attitudes and affirmations are getting more positive and that I am mastering my fears and that I am continuing to move forward with my own personal growth.

I would love to hear any feedback or comments, but please try and keep things positive, as that is what this journal is all about.

Kisses

Julie

2 comments:

  1. yay Marmy...i'm so proud, and i cant wait to see your daily journal !!!!
    much love
    jammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you were sick last year, you went through of that, like your attitude about life and so on. I can tell you are a really lovely and wonderful mummy.
    I am going to read your blogs, cos I love it.
    Hope everything will go well in the Rabbit Year!
    Good Luck,xoxo
    Ling :)

    ReplyDelete